After flying into Venice – Frank and I soon realized the airport was literally on an island. We took a water taxi to the mainland of Venice. The entire boat ride, I couldn’t stop taking pictures. It was so unbelievable that a city could exist in such a bizarre way. There were no cars, trains or buses – boats and walking were the only modes of transportation. There were gondolas everywhere too, which made it seem, as this city was “fake”. The entire day I felt that Frank and I were in a movie because everything was so perfect, especially when we went on a gondola ride because of the hopeless romantic sap that I am.
Workers carried items in carts to lug them from place to place. The smell of fish and freshness filled the air. Frank has a more sensitive sense of smell…so he’d debate with me if that smell was actually as good as I’m making it sound. This might sound stupid, but Venice just smelled – happy. Maybe because it was 65 and sunny or maybe because we were drinking spritz (the drink Venice is known for) all day.. regardless Venice was unbelievable and experiencing it with Frank made it that much better.
The next morning we flew to Naples. We flew through an English owned airline, so I got Starbucks on the flight – I immediately knew it was going to be a good day. After landing in Naples we waited in the hot sun (I’m not complaining, I’m a sun goddess) for the bus to Sorrento. The bus ride lasted a little over the hour and since I think I’m a little narcoleptic, I slept the entire ride. Once I opened my eyes, the view was breathtaking. Looking around, there were palm trees, orange trees and curvy roads carved into the sides of mountains. Looking down, there was the bright blue, crystal clear Tyrrhenian Sea. Looking past the water was an image of Mt. Vesuvius with a backdrop of white puffy clouds. I grabbed Frank’s hand to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.
Our bed & breakfast in Sorrento was adorable. We were greeted by the sweetest Italian Nonna ever. She showed us all in in’s and out’s of her four bedroom b&b. She even taught Frank and me how to make cappuccino. Since we were feeling ultra Italian now that we knew how to make our own café, we decided to rent a vespa. Coolest experience ever, I can officially cross that off my bucketlist – I rode on a scooter.. around Italy! So much fun!
The next day we took a boat to Capri. Frank & I both wore tanks because it was going to be around 68 & sunny – our kind of weather. Capri was breathtaking; the boat dropped us off by a little beach surrounded by local shops and restaurants. After following a sign that said “il centro” for about an hour, we realized we climbed about 20 stories high and that Capri’s center was on top of a mountain. We ate our prosciutto sandwiches & drank plenty of prosecco while soaking in the sun and the view.
No comments:
Post a Comment